Subject: PyCrypto license clarification

From: "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:48:25 -0400

Hi Paul,

I am the new maintainer of the Python Cryptography Toolkit, and I am
working on a new release at http://www.pycrypto.org/.

People often ask me what license PyCrypto is covered by, if it's
GPL-compatible, etc.  Right now, I'm not really sure what to tell them.
The text in the current LICENSE file (quoted below) is not entirely clear
on the point of whether distributing modified versions is allowed.  (It
says "distribute and use", but not "modify".)

   ===================================================================
   Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
   dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
   country of residence.  This software is provided "as is" without
   warranty of fitness for use or suitability for any purpose, express
   or implied. Use at your own risk or not at all.
   ===================================================================

   Incorporating the code into commercial products is permitted; you do
   not have to make source available or contribute your changes back
   (though that would be nice).

   --amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)

For the next PyCrypto release, I would like to take steps to move toward a
clearer licensing regime.  I am asking as many copyright holders as I can
find if I can release PyCrypto under something clearer and more standard.
Below, I have quoted a public domain dedication that was recommended in
_Intellectual Property and Open Source: A Practical Guide to Protecting
Code_, by Van Lindberg.  I have already contacted A. M. Kuchling, Robey
Pointer, Barry Warsaw, Wim Lewis, Jeethu Rao, Joris Bontje, and Mark 
Moraes, and they have all approved the following dedication for their 
contributions.

I understand that you have made contributions to PyCrypto, under nickname 
"z3p" and/or other names.  May I, on your behalf, dedicate to the public 
domain all your contributions to PyCrypto, with the following notice?

   =======================================================================
   The contents of this file are dedicated to the public domain.  To the
   extent that dedication to the public domain is not available, everyone
   is granted a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license
   to exercise all rights associated with the contents of this file for
   any purpose whatsoever.  No rights are reserved.
   =======================================================================

Regards,
  - Dwayne

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <[email-masked]>
   Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7

---

From: Paul Swartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:13:43 -0400

> working on a new release at http://www.pycrypto.org/.

That's great!

> domain all your contributions to PyCrypto, with the following notice?

Yes, that's fine.  Good luck with the new release!

-p
-- 
Paul Swartz
paulswartz at gmail dot com
http://paulswartz.net/
AIM: z3penguin

---

From: "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:35:01 -0400

>Yes, that's fine.  Good luck with the new release!

Perfect!  Thanks for the quick response!