Subject: PyCrypto license clarification

From: "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:14:20 -0400

Hi Mark,

I am the new maintainer of the Python Cryptography Toolkit, and I am
working on a new release at http://www.pycrypto.org/.

People often ask me what license PyCrypto is covered by, if it's
GPL-compatible, etc.  Right now, I'm not really sure what to tell them.
The text in the current LICENSE file (quoted below) is not entirely clear
on the point of whether distributing modified versions is allowed.  (It
says "distribute and use", but not "modify".)

       ===================================================================
       Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
       dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
       country of residence.  This software is provided "as is" without
       warranty of fitness for use or suitability for any purpose, express
       or implied. Use at your own risk or not at all.
       ===================================================================

       Incorporating the code into commercial products is permitted; you do
       not have to make source available or contribute your changes back
       (though that would be nice).

       --amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)

For the next PyCrypto release, I would like to take steps to move toward a
clearer licensing regime.  I am asking as many copyright holders as I can
find if I can release PyCrypto under something clearer and more standard.
Below, I have quoted a public domain dedication that was recommended in
_Intellectual Property and Open Source: A Practical Guide to Protecting
Code_, by Van Lindberg.  I have already contacted A. M. Kuchling, Robey
Pointer, Wim Lewis, Jeethu Rao, and Barry Warsaw, and they have all
approved the following dedication for their contributions.

I understand that you have made contributions to PyCrypto.  May I, on your
behalf, dedicate to the public domain all your contributions to PyCrypto,
with the following notice?

       =======================================================================
       The contents of this file are dedicated to the public domain.  To the
       extent that dedication to the public domain is not available, everyone
       is granted a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license
       to exercise all rights associated with the contents of this file for
       any purpose whatsoever.  No rights are reserved.
       =======================================================================

Regards,
    - Dwayne

-- 
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <[email-masked]>
    Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7