Subject: PyCrypto license clarification

From: "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:45:09 -0500

Hi Barry,

I am the new maintainer of the Python Cryptography Toolkit, and I am 
working on a new release at http://www.pycrypto.org/.

People often ask me what license PyCrypto is covered by, if it's 
GPL-compatible, etc.  Right now, I'm not really sure what to tell them.  
The text in the current LICENSE file (quoted below) is not entirely clear 
on the point of whether distributing modified versions is allowed.  (It 
says "distribute and use", but not "modify".)

  ===================================================================
  Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
  dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
  country of residence.  This software is provided "as is" without
  warranty of fitness for use or suitability for any purpose, express
  or implied. Use at your own risk or not at all.
  ===================================================================

  Incorporating the code into commercial products is permitted; you do
  not have to make source available or contribute your changes back
  (though that would be nice).

  --amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)

For the next PyCrypto release, I would like to take steps to move toward a 
clearer licensing regime.  I am asking as many copyright holders as I can 
find if I can release PyCrypto under something clearer and more standard.  
Below, I have quoted a public domain dedication that was recommended in 
_Intellectual Property and Open Source: A Practical Guide to Protecting 
Code_, by Van Lindberg.  I have already contacted A. M. Kuchling, Robey 
Pointer, and Wim Lewis, and they have all approved the following dedication 
for their contributions.

I understand that you have made contributions to PyCrypto.  May I, on your 
behalf, dedicate to the public domain all your contributions to PyCrypto, 
with the following notice?

  =======================================================================
  The contents of this file are dedicated to the public domain.  To the
  extent that dedication to the public domain is not available, everyone
  is granted a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license
  to exercise all rights associated with the contents of this file for
  any purpose whatsoever.  No rights are reserved.
  =======================================================================

Regards,
  - Dwayne

-- 
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <[email-masked]>
     Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7

---

From: Barry Warsaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:29:34 -0500

> working on a new release at http://www.pycrypto.org/.

Great!  I'm glad to see someone taking up the mantle of this important  
Python library.

> I understand that you have made contributions to PyCrypto.  May I,  
> on your behalf, dedicate to the public domain all your contributions  
> to PyCrypto, with the following notice?

Absolutely yes.

Cheers,
Barry