Subject: PyCrypto license clarification

From: "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 00:17:22 -0500

Hi Andrew,

People often ask me what license PyCrypto is covered by, if it's 
GPL-compatible, etc.  Right now, I'm not really sure what to tell them.  
The text in the current LICENSE file (quoted below) is not entirely clear 
on the point of whether distributing modified versions is allowed.  (It 
says "distribute and use", but not "modify".)

     ===================================================================
     Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
     dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
     country of residence.  This software is provided "as is" without
     warranty of fitness for use or suitability for any purpose, express
     or implied. Use at your own risk or not at all.
     ===================================================================

     Incorporating the code into commercial products is permitted; you do
     not have to make source available or contribute your changes back
     (though that would be nice).

     --amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)

For the next PyCrypto release, I'd like to take steps to move toward a 
clearer licensing regime.  I'm asking as many copyright holders as I can 
find, starting with you, if I can release PyCrypto under something clearer 
and more standard.  Below, I have quoted a public domain dedication that 
was recommended in _Intellectual Property and Open Source: A Practical 
Guide to Protecting Code_, by Van Lindberg.

May I, on your behalf, dedicate to the public domain your considerable 
contributions to PyCrypto, with the following notice?

     =======================================================================
     The contents of this file are dedicated to the public domain.  To the
     extent that dedication to the public domain is not available, everyone
     is granted a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license
     to exercise all rights associated with the contents of this file for
     any purpose whatsoever.  No rights are reserved.
     =======================================================================

Regards,
  - Dwayne

-- 
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <[email-masked]>
  Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7
  Annual key (2008) - 4B2A FD82 FC7D 9E38 38D9  179F 1C11 B877 E780 4B45

---

From: "A.M. Kuchling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 07:51:34 -0500

> says "distribute and use", but not "modify".)

The intention is that it be public domain.

> contributions to PyCrypto, with the following notice?

You may.

--amk